Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Doctor will NOT see you now...



Nearly three weeks ago I had an interview for a job on Doctor Who Magazine. And, believe me, for a person like me, this is the dream job.

Like most of the country at the moment, I'm a fan of the show - and have been since I was a kid. The position on offer at the official magazine was Designer, which is what I'm doing at the moment here in Manchester. Two of my favourite obsessions all wrapped up in one fabulous job. How could I NOT apply? So anyway, I got the interview, which was down in Tunbridge Wells, and it went tremendously well. I met the rather sexy Editor, Clayton Hickman - who, by the way, is currently plastered all over any Who-related telly programme at the moment - and got on very well with both him and their current designer, Peri.

Part of the interview involved laying out a sample 4 page spread, based on the recent episode that featured Sarah-Jane Smith and K9 School Renunion. Aside from the fact I started the layout on a single page, rather than a double page (big no-no, but hey I was nervous), I think I did a good job in the limited time they gave me. I left Tunbridge Wells on a high, thinking I'd have a pretty decent chance at bagging the job.

Three weeks later and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. So what should I do? Call them and risk sounding like an over-eager fan-boy? Wait patiently in the hope that one random day in August Clayton Hickman will suddenly remember "that bloke from Manchester who we interviewed"? Chalk it up to experience and move on? Watch this space, this story isn't over yet...

No comments: